Silicone Versus TPE (Thermoplastic Elastomer)
Silicone, also known as silicone rubber, is a mixture of silicon polymer with carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. TPE (thermoplastic elastomer) is a mixture of plastic and rubber. Every manufacturer uses their own formula, which means that TPE is more of a "catch-all" which may include several compounds which differ from manufacturer to manufacturer . This means that TPE quality may vary wildly between manufacturers, especially among "knock-off" brands.
Even high-quality TPE is less expensive to produce than silicone, which means that even high-end TPE dolls are more affordable than those made from silicone. TPE is becoming more popular, largely as a product of the lower price, but also because it is softer to the touch compared to silicone, and has a more realistic "jiggle factor". However, doll owners say that silicone dolls can sometimes last longer than TPE dolls due to being more resistant to damage.
TPE Pros And Cons
- TPE is softer to the touch compared to silicone
- More elastic and flexible which can handle more positions compared to silicone
- Retains warmth, but sensitive to excessive heat
- Cheaper than silicone
- Skin has a more realistic look compared to silicone
- More prone to staining than silicone
- Naturally sticky. This can be fixed by rubbing baby powder or corn starch over the doll
- Porous. Mold can grow in the doll over time if doll is not cleaned and dried regularly
- TPE cannot be sterilized
- Harder to repair compared to silicone
- TPE requires baby oil and/or petroleum jelly treatments to keep material "saturated" and avoid damage and deterioration.
Silicone Pros And Cons
- Allows for greater fine detail in the vagina and anus
- Less sensative to heat than TPE, but retains less warmth
- Easier to clean, and can be sterilized
- More resistant to damage, water, and staining
- Less required maintaince and easier to repair
- As silicone is heat resistant, can include integrated heating systems for added realism
- More expensive than TPE
- Not as soft as TPE. Feels more like muscle
- Breasts and booty will not "jiggle"
- While less sticky than TPE, does require baby powder or corn starch to make smooth
- While easier to clean than TPE, requires cleaning and can mold if moisture is not dried
- Skin has an unnatural sheen and looks less realisitc compared to TPE
Mixed Asian (TPE)
Mixed Asain (Silicone)